Busch PFA Hearing Ends, Ruling May Be Weeks Away - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Busch PFA Hearing Ends, Ruling May Be Weeks Away

Posted: Updated:
DOVER, Del. (WBOC/AP) - It took four days spanning almost a month, but Tuesday the protection from abuse order hearing for NASCAR driver Kurt Busch wrapped up in Dover.

Busch's ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll, filed for the protective order back in November. There were two days of hearings in Kent County Family Court in December and two more this week.

While the hearing is over, there hasn't been a ruling. The attorneys have two weeks to submit written closing arguments. After that the family court commissioner will issue a decision on the protective order.

Both sides hope he'll rule in their favor.

For the first time since the hearing began, Busch spoke to reporters briefly outside the courthouse after things wrapped up.

"I'm just glad that the truth got told," he said. "We'll wait on the commissioner's decision. (Are you confident?) We'll see what he decides."

According to Busch, the truth is he did not assault Patricia Driscoll inside his motorhome at Dover International Speedway during the September race weekend. Driscoll says he did by grabbing her face and neck and slamming her head against the wall.

"We know one thing. He never physically abused her," said Rusty Hardin, Busch's attorney, after court. "We're real comfortable that was made clear today, over the past two days in particular. We'll wait to see what the outcome is."

Driscoll didn't talk to reporters after court, but her attorney did. Carolyn McNiece called the lengthy hearing emotionally exhausting for the parties. She says Busch's legal team's approach was more difficult than is normal.

We'd like to have it handled much more quickly. Everybody benefits, I think, from getting in and out of family court," she said. "I think the parties need to get this finished. Everybody wants to know what's going to happen."

And McNiece addressed the fact that Busch and Driscoll have stayed away from each other - without a court order - during this month-long ordeal.

"I think the parties have been separated at this point, because they both have attorneys. Their attorneys have instructed them to keep their distance," McNiece said.

The NASCAR driver known as "The Outlaw" testified Tuesday he believes his ex-girlfriend is a trained assassin dispatched on covert missions around the world who once returned home in a blood-splattered gown.

Busch said Driscoll repeatedly asserted her assassin status and claimed the work took her on missions across Central and South America and Africa. She once left in camouflage only to return wearing a trench coat over the blood-flecked evening gown, he said. The testimony came a day after the driver said his ex-girlfriend told him she was a mercenary who killed people for a living and that she showed him pictures of bodies with gunshot wounds.

"Everybody on the outside can tell me I'm crazy, but I lived on the inside and saw it firsthand," Busch said when Hardin questioned why he still believed Driscoll is a hired killer.

During the hearing, which stretched over four days, neither Driscoll nor her attorney refuted testimony about her telling people she was a trained assassin.

Busch testified Monday that he decided to end his relationship last fall because she was monopolizing his schedule and he needed to focus on racing.

Also called to the stand Tuesday was Richard Andrew Sniffen, a Christian musician and self-described music minister who performs at NASCAR outreach events. He said Driscoll contacted him the night of the alleged assault, telling him Busch had pushed her and that she hit her head, but not that he had slammed her head into the wall. Sniffen said Driscoll was upset, angry and brokenhearted, but she never said she was afraid of Busch and sought reconciliation.

That shifted in the weeks that followed, Sniffen said, and Driscoll went "from a broken heart looking for love and reconciliation to anger and a little bit of revenge." She eventually "almost embraced" the end of the relationship, Sniffen said.

"I will destroy him," Sniffen said Driscoll told him, adding that she repeatedly said she would take Busch down.

A criminal investigation into Driscoll's assault allegations is currently in the hands of the Delaware Attorney General's Office. No charges have been filed so far.
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices