Md. Fire Marshal Offers Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Md. Fire Marshal Offers Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Posted: Updated:

STATEWIDE- State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci is encouraging all Marylanders to be mindful of the dangers of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, tasteless, and potentially toxic gas that is produced by the incomplete combustion of liquid fuels, solid fuels, or natural gases. Geraci said the recent incident involving the deaths of eight family members in Princess Anne is a very realistic reminder of the dangerous effects of CO poisoning.

Geraci is advising the public to purchase and install carbon monoxide detectors if they live in a home that has liquid-fueled space heaters, an attached garage, gas appliances, oil heat, electric generators, wood stoves and/or fireplaces. The best place to locate your detector is in the hallway just outside the sleeping areas and on of level of your home, he said. 

To help decrease your chance of being poisoned by carbon monoxide, Geraci offered these tips:

- Never let your car idle in the garage.

- Never use a gas range, oven, or clothes dryer for heating.

- Scheduling preventive maintenance inspections for your fuel fired appliances.

- Make sure chimneys and flues are inspected and cleaned each year and remain in good condition.

- Never run a generator inside or near an entrance (door, window, vent, etc.) to your home.

- Portable generators should be placed outside away from occupied buildings.

- Install and maintain working smoke alarms and CO detectors.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms similar to the flu, such as: headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, and irritability. High concentrations of CO can cause vomiting, loss of consciousness, and even death. Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur in small amounts over a long period of time and in large amounts in a short period of time.

“Everyone is asked to assume responsibility and take the initiative to protect themselves, their families and friends from the potentially lethal affects caused by carbon monoxide poisoning,” Geraci said. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Former Delaware State Lawmaker Sentenced

    Former Delaware State Lawmaker Sentenced

    Aug 17, 2018 6:03 PM -04:002018-08-17 22:03:00 GMT
    Friday, August 17 2018 6:36 PM EDT2018-08-17 22:36:43 GMT
    John C. Atkins John C. Atkins
    John C. AtkinsJohn C. Atkins
    DOVER, Del.- A former Delaware lawmaker was sentenced after being arrested three times in one month for assaulting his girlfriend during an argument.More
    DOVER, Del.- A former Delaware lawmaker was sentenced after being arrested three times in one month for assaulting his girlfriend during an argument. More
  • Woman Arrested In Multiple Kent County Burglaries

    Woman Arrested In Multiple Kent County Burglaries

    Aug 17, 2018 4:56 PM -04:002018-08-17 20:56:00 GMT
    Friday, August 17 2018 4:56 PM EDT2018-08-17 20:56:15 GMT
    Delaware State Police have arrested a Maryland woman for her connection with multiple burglaries in Hartly, Clayton and Dover.More
    Delaware State Police have arrested a Maryland woman for her connection with multiple burglaries in Hartly, Clayton and Dover.More
  • Bridgeville Man Goes to Prison for Child Sex Abuse

    Bridgeville Man Goes to Prison for Child Sex Abuse

    Aug 17, 2018 2:18 PM -04:002018-08-17 18:18:00 GMT
    Friday, August 17 2018 2:18 PM EDT2018-08-17 18:18:05 GMT
    John YoungJohn Young
    John YoungJohn Young
    A Delaware Superior Court judge has sentenced a 25-year-old Bridgeville man to 25 years in prison for sexually abusing a child.More
    A Delaware Superior Court judge has sentenced a 25-year-old Bridgeville man to 25 years in prison for sexually abusing a child. More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices