Obesity is a surplus of adipose tissue resulting from eating more and exercising less. This puts a person at a greater risk for CAD, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and Type 2 diabetes.
To lose weight you need to eat less calories and increase physical activity. A safe amount of weight to lose is 1-2 lbs/week.
These are two measurements that are used to determine body composition.
1. BMI (Body Mass Index) - Desirable is < 25 kg/m2
2. Waist Circumference - a measurement used to determine the distribution of one's body fat
Ways to be affective in Weight Loss:
1. Portion control (i.e. eat less)
2. Increase physical activity.
3. Make better food choices.
Benefits of Exercise for Weight Loss:
1. Use more energy to burn calories so they are not being stored as fat.
2. It helps to suppress appetite.
3. Helps to reduce high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, helps control Type 2 diabetes.
4. Helps one feel good about oneself.
Types of Exercise for Weight Loss:
1. 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise, 3-7 days/week. Examples include walking, bike riding, jogging, swimming.
2. Weight training - it helps maintain or increase lean body mass.
Ways to Add Activity:
1. Walk instead of driving to your destination if it is less than ½ mile.
2. Park further from the store.
3. Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
4. Take the dog for a walk.
5. Active play with the children or grandchildren.
Ways to Improve Healthier Eating Habits:
1. Try low fat versions of your favorite foods and recipes.
2. Read food labels.
3. Make sure to drink adequate amounts of water, 8/8oz. glasses/day.
4. Eat 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.