Driver Charged in Series of Seaford Crashes - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Driver Charged in Series of Seaford Crashes


SEAFORD, Del.- Authorities say a 57-year-old driver is facing a slew of charges in connection with three crashes that occurred Sunday evening in Seaford.

Delaware State Police said the incident happened around 10:20 p.m. as Sherman W. Henry, 57, of Seaford, was operating a 1998 Plymouth Breeze eastbound on Concord Road (SR20) and approaching Sussex Highway (US13). Troopers said that meantime, Edward T. Winder, 42, of Seaford, was operating a 2003 Ford F550 eastbound on SR20 and was stopped for the red light at the intersection with US13. Police said that is when Henry failed to stop for the traffic in front of him and struck the rear of the Ford with the front bumper of the Plymouth. 

According to police, Henry then fled the scene and turned northbound on US13 where he then struck the rear of a 2009 Honda Accord that was being operated by Dennis C. Bransome Jr., 19, of Houston, Texas, near the entrance to the Dairy Queen. Troopers said Henry again fled the scene and failed to negotiate a right turn onto Middleford Road where the vehicle crossed the roadway and struck an embankment on the north side of Middleford Road.  The Plymouth became airborne and came to a stop after striking a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that was parked in the Popeye’s parking lot, investigators said.

Henry was removed from the vehicle by Seaford Volunteer Fire Department after he was entrapped for a short period of time, police said. He was then transported by EMS to Nanticoke Memorial Hospital where he is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries. Police said charges are pending his release from the hospital which include third-offense driving under the influence of alcohol, two counts of second-degree vehicular assault, leaving the scene of a personal injury collision and various other traffic offenses.

Bransome and a 19-year-old passenger ere both transported to Nanticoke Memorial Hospital where they were treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released, police said. 

Police said Winder was uninjured.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices