Queen Anne's County Man Sentenced to 100 Months for Cocaine Traf - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Queen Anne's County Man Sentenced to 100 Months for Cocaine Trafficking

Posted: Updated:

Editor's note: The lede sentence of the first version of this story listed the incorrect number of years Baraka Zuberi Chauka will spend in prison. The corrected version is below. WBOC apologizes for the error.

BALTIMORE– A convicted Queen Anne’s County cocaine trafficker will spend more than eight years in prison, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland.

Attorney Rod Rosenstein announced the 100-month sentence Wednesday for 39-year-old Baraka Zuberi Chauka of Barclay. Prison time will be followed by three years of supervised release.

Queen Anne’s County law enforcement learned in March of 2014 from evidence presented at Chauka’s trial for cocaine trafficking that he routinely supplied powder cocaine to co-defendant Adrian Reed, 39, of Chestertown, who cooked the powder into cocaine base to sell to customers. Chauka also sold powder cocaine and crack cocaine to his own customers, according to prosecutors.

Further investigation revealed that Chauka purchased powder cocaine from a supplier in the Philadelphia area. 

In April 2014, Maryland State Police stopped Chauka on his way back from meeting with his supplier in Philadelphia where they say they found him in possession of approximately 125 grams of powder cocaine. In searching his home, troopers say they also found more cutting agents and a digital scale. 

Later than month shortly after Chauka made bail from the state drug charges, law enforcement overheard calls between Chauka and Reed indicating that Chauka had immediately returned to drug distribution. Police say another search of Chauka’s home yielded more cutting agents, a digital scale, and two boxes of 9mm ammunition.      

The investigation showed that Chauka trafficked approximately 232.5 grams of powder cocaine from March to April of 2014.

Reed had previously pleaded guilty to his participation in the conspiracy and was sentenced to 70 months in prison, according to the Maryland U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices