Punkin Chunkin Once Again Looking Outside of Delaware after 2015 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Punkin Chunkin Once Again Looking Outside of Delaware after 2015 Cancellation

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del. (WBOC) - Punkin Chunkin leaders are weighing their options and looking outside of Delaware as they try to ensure a 2016 edition of the event.

The World Championship of Punkin Chunkin announced Thursday it was canceling this year's event, which was originally scheduled for the first full weekend in November. It's the second year in a row the Delaware tradition hasn't happened. Organizers don't want to see that streak reach three years.

The likelihood of a 2016 event happening in Delaware appears to come down to insurance. Punkin Chunkin couldn't get the necessary insurance to have it in Kent County this year.

Ricky Nietubicz is Punkin Chunkin's president. WBOC asked him about the past day since his organization made the cancellation announcement.

"We've heard from a lot of disappointed fans, our teams, our members. Clearly everyone is extremely disappointed."

With the announcement now in the past, Punkin Chunkin's attention is on the future and guaranteeing a 2016 event happens. Nietubicz says part of that means possibly taking the event out of the state it has called home for three decades.

"Certainly there are more conducive regulatory environments in other states. Some of them are nearby," he said.

State Sen. Brian Pettyjohn, R-Georgetown, who has been working on, so far unsuccessfully, law changes that might allow Punkin Chunkin to stay in Delaware, is pessimistic.

"I'm highly doubtful it will be back to Delaware," he told WBOC Friday. "I know there are several properties on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that the organization has in mind."

Nietubicz mentioned Maryland, too.

"Over the past year and a half, we've been searching regionally and will continue to search. Certainly we'd like to stay a little bit closer to home. So, Maryland remains a significant potential option for us as do some other neighboring states."

Wicomico County Executive Bob Culver tells WBOC he would definitely be interested in Punkin Chunkin. Culver says he would need to know the event's requirements before seeing if there were a place in the county for it.

And he says Wicomico County would work with the state insurance commissioner on the insurance situation if the event came to the county.

Nietubicz says they'd rather have an event somewhere than no event anywhere.

"We'd like to stay as close as we can. That being said, at this point, we can't take anything off the table," he said.

The possibility of moving Punkin Chunkin out of state was also under consideration two years ago before organizers landed on The Woodlands at Dover International Speedway. Speedway officials told WBOC Thursday the track is still interested in hosting the event if the insurance issues can be worked out.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Local Fans React to Cape-Smyrna "Basketbrawl"

    Local Fans React to Cape-Smyrna "Basketbrawl"

    Feb 23, 2018 10:21 PM2018-02-24 03:21:00 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 10:22 PM EST2018-02-24 03:22:26 GMT
    DOVER, Del.- After a fight broke out at a high school basketball game on Thursday night, local fans were shocked that violence ensued during a playoff match-up. The fight broke out before the conference game between Cape Henlopen and Smyrna finished at MiMore
    After a fight broke out at a high school basketball game on Thursday night, local fans were shocked that violence ensued during a playoff match-up. More
  • Man Pleads Guilty in 2017 Laurel Murder

    Man Pleads Guilty in 2017 Laurel Murder

    Feb 23, 2018 2:53 PM2018-02-23 19:53:00 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 3:42 PM EST2018-02-23 20:42:59 GMT
    Stephon JacksonStephon Jackson
    Stephon JacksonStephon Jackson
    A 19-year-old Laurel man faces up to 105 years in prison after pleading guilty to a 2017 shooting that left an 18-year-old man dead.More
    A 19-year-old Laurel man faces up to 105 years in prison after pleading guilty to a 2017 shooting that left an 18-year-old man dead.More
  • Hebron Man Assaults Deputy, Sheriff's Say

    Hebron Man Assaults Deputy, Sheriff's Say

    Feb 23, 2018 6:17 PM2018-02-23 23:17:00 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 6:17 PM EST2018-02-23 23:17:38 GMT
    A Hebron man faces assault charges after he allegedly attacked a Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputy while being arrested for drug possession among other illegal activity.More
    A Hebron man faces assault charges after he allegedly attacked a Wicomico County Sheriff’s deputy while being arrested for drug possession among other illegal activity.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices