Seaford Bowling Lanes to Shut Down Permanently Oct. 18 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Seaford Bowling Lanes to Shut Down Permanently Oct. 18

Posted:
The sign of the 58-year old Seaford Bowling Lanes displays a phrase that will outlive the establishment since the owner is permanently shutting down on Oct. 18. (Photo: WBOC) The sign of the 58-year old Seaford Bowling Lanes displays a phrase that will outlive the establishment since the owner is permanently shutting down on Oct. 18. (Photo: WBOC)

SEAFORD, Del. -- A bowling alley that's been a staple in Seaford for more than half a century announced Thursday its closing its doors in a matter of days.

The Seaford Bowling Lanes in the Nylon Capital Shopping Center has been operating for 58 years and won't be around to see year 59 once its lanes permanently shut down on Sunday Oct. 18.

Residents and local bowling leagues were shocked to hear the news Thursday, including Howard Savage.

"It was shock to me when we came in and the lady at the register said, 'Hey we're closing Sunday.' I said, 'Wow!' It was really a shock," said Savage.

Savage is with Delmarva Community Services and was at the bowling alley looking after seniors with disabilities who use the facility to practice for the Special Olympics.

"Now we have to find somewhere else to go," said Savage. "This program helps the individual with their bowling. We've been doing it for at least 12 years."

One of the program's star bowlers is Leroy Faulkner who has brought his own bowling ball and shoes for years.

Faulkner and his teammates aren't the only people about to be displaced.

One worker has been at the alley full-time for 48 years.

Seaford Bowling Lanes isn't the only bowling alley in Sussex County that might shut its doors soon.

Pete Bryan, the owner of Bryan's Bowling Center in Laurel, says the alley is for sale and has been for the last six months.

It opened seven years ago attracting a number of bowling leagues to travel from as far as Salisbury to play.

Bryan says he wants to sell the business so he and his wife can retire.

Bryan says if the business is sold, the fate of the bowling alley and what could become of it would not be his concern. The decision to keep the facility a bowling alley or turn it into something else, would be up to the new owner.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Woman Files Federal Lawsuit Over Punkin Chunkin Accident

    Woman Files Federal Lawsuit Over Punkin Chunkin Accident

    08/17/2017 07:44:00 -04:002017-08-17 11:44:00 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 12:33 PM EDT2017-08-17 16:33:35 GMT
    A woman who was critically injured when an air cannon exploded during last year's Punkin Chunkin event in Bridgeville, DE has filed a federal lawsuit against event organizers and participants, state officials and Discovery Communications.More
    A woman who was critically injured when an air cannon exploded during last year's Punkin Chunkin event in Bridgeville, Del. has filed a federal lawsuit against event organizers and participants, state officials and Discovery Communications.More
  • NAACP Branch Seeks Removal of Delaware Confederate Monument

    NAACP Branch Seeks Removal of Delaware Confederate Monument

    08/17/2017 09:41:00 -04:002017-08-17 13:41:00 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 11:22 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:22:12 GMT
    The Confederate monument on the grounds of the Georgetown Historical Society. (Photo: WBOC)The Confederate monument on the grounds of the Georgetown Historical Society. (Photo: WBOC)
    The Lowers Sussex County NAACP wants officials to cut off state funding for the Georgetown Historical Society to force the removal of a Confederate monument on its grounds.More
    The Lowers Sussex County NAACP wants officials to cut off state funding for the Georgetown Historical Society to force the removal of a Confederate monument on its grounds.More
  • Kent County Judge Rejects Appeal From 4-time DUI Offender

    Kent County Judge Rejects Appeal From 4-time DUI Offender

    Thursday, August 17 2017 9:03 AM EDT2017-08-17 13:03:43 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 9:03 AM EDT2017-08-17 13:03:43 GMT
    A Kent County, Delaware judge has refused to declare a mistrial or grant a new trial to a man recently convicted of his fourth drunken-driving offense.More
    A Kent County, Delaware judge has refused to declare a mistrial or grant a new trial to a man recently convicted of his fourth drunken-driving offense.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices