ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP/WBOC)- Gov. Larry Hogan is announcing a new lead testing plan that calls for all Maryland children to be tested at ages 1 and 2.
The Republican governor announced the plan Monday at the start of National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week.
Previously, only children living in areas of the state considered to be at risk or who were enrolled in Medicaid had to be tested.
“We have made great progress in reducing lead exposure in Maryland over the past 20 years,” Hogan said. “However, we need to test all children, not just a handful, in order to put an end to childhood lead poisoning in Maryland once and for all.”
Maryland environmental secretary Ben Grumbles added that in the early days of the state's lead program, the majority of children with lead poisoning came from Baltimore rental homes built before 1950. Now, he says the state is seeing a larger proportion of cases linked to newer rental homes and owner-occupied homes in other parts of Maryland.
Click here for more information on the Department of Environment's Lead Poisoning Prevention Program.