Space Heater Fire Destroys Chestertown Home - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Space Heater Fire Destroys Chestertown Home

Posted: Updated:
Photo: MGN Images Photo: MGN Images

CHESTERTOWN, Md. - A Chestertown home was left in ruins following an early Monday morning fire that took two hours to control.

According to the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal, the fire was accidental in nature, caused by a space heater being too close to combustibles.

It was discovered shortly after 5 a.m. by someone heading past the enclosed back patio of a home on the 8000 block of Baker’s Lane, state fire officials said.

Fifty firefighters from the Chestertown and Kennedyville volunteer fire company departments worked to extinguish the fire, which fire officials said caused about $200,000 in damage to the structure and another $20,000 in damage to its contents. There were no reported injuries. 

The fire marshal said smoke alarms were present in the home but did not activate.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices