All Worcester County Schools, Several Other Eastern Shore of Md. - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

All Worcester County Schools, Several Other Eastern Shore of Md. Schools Evacuated After Bomb Threats

Posted: Updated:
Students stand outside Parkside High School after a bomb threat forced an evacuation of the school on Friday afternoon. (Photo: WBOC) Students stand outside Parkside High School after a bomb threat forced an evacuation of the school on Friday afternoon. (Photo: WBOC)

UNDATED- Authorities say bomb threats prompted the evacuation of all schools in Worcester County and several other schools on the Eastern Shore of Maryland on Friday afternoon. 

According to the Worcester County Board of Education, a bomb threat was made to all schools in Worcester County early Friday afternoon. Sheriff Reggie Mason told WBOC that a robocall was first called into Stephen Decatur High School in Berlin, then the Worcester County Board of Education office. According to Mason, the robocall claimed bombs would go off in all schools in 30 minutes. The sheriff said that as a result of the threat, students and staff were evacuated from all school and office buildings. 

In a message posted at 1:12 p.m. on the board's website: "Due to the bomb threat received earlier, students are being transported by school bus from their evacuation site in the same manner as they would for afternoon dismissal, with high school students first followed by elementary. Buses will arrive at the evacuation sites at approximately 2 p.m. Parents that wish to pick their child up, should report to the child’s school to do so. Pick up is being coordinated at each school site."

In nearby Wicomico County, Parkside High School in Salisbury was also evacuated Friday after a bomb threat was called into that school. Wicomico County Public Schools sent the following message to parents about the threat: "This is a message from Wicomico County Public Schools. We are aware of a bomb threat at Parkside High School today, Friday, Jan. 15. The school has been evacuated and we are cooperating with law enforcement on the investigation. We are handling this matter with the safety of students and staff as our highest priority. An update message will come as soon as possible. Updates will also be provided on our website, social media, and through the news media."

At 2:40 p.m. Friday, Wicomico County Public Schools said in the following updated message to parents: "The school has been thoroughly searched and has been cleared to reopen. Students and staff are returning to the school. Students who were signed out already may return to school to collect their belongings. School will dismiss at the usual time and after-school activities will continue as scheduled. We continue to work closely with law enforcement on this investigation."

Queen Anne's County Public Schools on Maryland's Midshore notified parents shortly after 1 p.m. that bomb threats had been called into Queen Anne's County and Kent Island high schools with both schools evacuated. Bomb-sniffing dogs were brought into both schools to conduct searches. In addition, all afterschool activities for both schools were canceled for the day. 

Friday's incidents follow other bomb threats called into schools across the Delmarva Peninsula this week. 

On Wednesday, a bomb threat was called into Stephen Decatur High School. However, a student has been arrested in that case. And on Monday and Tuesday, bomb threats were called into several other schools up and down the peninsula. Those incidents remain under investigation. 

In light of Friday's incidents in Worcester County, Sheriff Mason told WBOC that all local agencies are helping each other out and he has asked for all assistance in the county. 

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices