Hurlock Receives $168,000 for Demolitions, Facade Improvements, - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Hurlock Receives $168,000 for Demolitions, Facade Improvements, and a New Park

Posted: Updated:
102 and 104 North Main St., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC) 102 and 104 North Main St., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC)
208 South Main St., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC) 208 South Main St., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC)
106 Maryland Ave., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC) 106 Maryland Ave., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC)
500 Railroad Ave., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC) 500 Railroad Ave., Hurlock (Photo: WBOC)

HURLOCK, Md.- Hurlock is set to receive $168,000 in grant money.  Some is set aside for demolitions, some for facade improvements, and some for the creation of a new park.

The town is on track for a facelift.  Several buildings throughout the town are set for demolition, including three homes.  Those are 208 South Main St., 106 Maryland Ave. and 500 Railroad Ave.  All of these homes have been vacant for years.  Mayor Joyce Spratt said the demolitions of these properties will make Hurlock more attractive to prospective business and homeowners.

"We're hoping to make our town look better and more attractive to the people passing through town, and for the people that live here as well," Spratt said.

And it's not just old homes being torn down, but also an old vacant restaurant and the building next to it.  Those addresses are 102 and 104 North Main St.  The owner of the property, Bryan Bayliss, is donating 102 to the town.  That building will be demolished, and in its place, a seating park with a fountain will be built.  The neighboring 104 building will also be demolished, and that lot combined with Mr. Bayliss' property at 106, becoming a driveway.

Down the street at Mom and Pop's restaurant, workers there say they are happy to see the town taking steps to remove the ugly buildings, and show Hurlock's better side.

"It's an eyesore.  If they aren't going to do anything with it, tear it down and brighten up the town some," said Patricia Era.

It gets even better for the businesses on that block like Mom and Pop's. Fifty-thousand dollars of community legacy grant money will go toward facade improvements like awnings, to make these buildings pop.

"I'm for it 100 percent.  It builds something here that will bring people in," said Era.

"These grants have been a long time coming, but we've been blessed with all three of them.  So now we can apply for more grants to get more things," said Spratt.

The demolitions of the three homes, and the buildings at 102 and 104 North Main are expected to be completed in two months.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Traffic Stop Leads to Drug Arrest

    Traffic Stop Leads to Drug Arrest

    Thursday, May 25 2017 7:56 PM EDT2017-05-25 23:56:24 GMT
    Thursday, May 25 2017 8:00 PM EDT2017-05-26 00:00:18 GMT
    Maurice Pinder was arrested for the posession of drugs and weapons.Maurice Pinder was arrested for the posession of drugs and weapons.

    A Federalsburg man is being held without bond after a traffic stop lead to the discovery of drugs and weapons.

    More

    A Federalsburg man is being held without bond after a traffic stop lead to the discovery of drugs and weapons.

    More
  • Arrest Warrants Issued for Man Accused of Punching Man with Cerebral Palsy

    Arrest Warrants Issued for Man Accused of Punching Man with Cerebral Palsy

    Thursday, May 25 2017 7:30 PM EDT2017-05-25 23:30:35 GMT
    Thursday, May 25 2017 7:33 PM EDT2017-05-25 23:33:47 GMT
    Barry BakerBarry Baker

    Pennsylvania authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Barry Baker, the man accused of sucker punching a man with cerebral palsy at a West Chester Pennsylvania 7-11 earlier this month. 

    More

    Pennsylvania authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Barry Baker, the man accused of sucker punching a man with cerebral palsy at a West Chester Pennsylvania 7-11 earlier this month. 

    More
  • Rehoboth Beach Outfall Project Moving Forward

    Rehoboth Beach Outfall Project Moving Forward

    Thursday, May 25 2017 2:10 PM EDT2017-05-25 18:10:09 GMT
    Thursday, May 25 2017 7:10 PM EDT2017-05-25 23:10:40 GMT

    DNREC Secretary Shawn M. Garvin on Thursday gave approval to construction of an outfall that will discharge Rehoboth Beach's treated wastewater into the Atlantic Ocean, eliminating the largest remaining point source discharge into Delaware’s inland bays. 

    More

    DNREC Secretary Shawn M. Garvin on Thursday gave approval to construction of an outfall that will discharge Rehoboth Beach's treated wastewater into the Atlantic Ocean, eliminating the largest remaining point source discharge into Delaware’s inland bays. 

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices