Wicomico County Man Convicted in Sexual Assault, Hostage Case - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Wicomico County Man Convicted in Sexual Assault, Hostage Case

Posted: Updated:
Harry Jones (Photo: Wicomico County Sheriff's Office) Harry Jones (Photo: Wicomico County Sheriff's Office)

By Bill Mich and Kye Parsons

SALISBURY, Md.- A 60-year-old Wicomico County man could face up to life in prison after a jury found him guilty Wednesday afternoon of first-degree sex offense, false imprisonment and related charges for holding a woman captive in his home for about four days last June and sexually assaulting her.

It took a Wicomico County Circuit Court jury two hours and 45 minutes to find Harry Solomon Jones guilty of two counts of first-degree sex offense, two counts of second-degree sex offense, false imprisonment, first- and second-degree assault, unnatural or perverted practice, reckless endangerment and dangerous weapon: wear and carry with intent to injure. The jury found Jones not guilty of 10 other charges including attempted first-degree rape.

Jones could get life behind bars on the first-degree sex offense and false imprisonment charges. Sentencing will occur at a future date following a pre-sentence investigation. 

Police said the incident happened between June 13, 2015 to June 16, 2015.  During Jones' trial, which began Monday, the woman testified that Jones picked her up in Crisfield and took her back to his home on Keyes Lane, just off of Old Ocean City Road east of Salisbury. The woman said once inside the home, Jones hit her in the head with a crow bar knocking her unconscious.  The woman testified when she woke up, she was bound at the wrists and ankles with zip ties and sexually assaulted on numerous occasions by Jones.  She also testified that every time Jones would leave his Keyes Lane home, he would duct tape her mouth, bind her further with ropes or wires, and have her lie in the bathtub until he returned.

First thing Tuesday morning, the woman in the case was recalled to the stand. She testified that during her time in Jones' home, Jones was demanding information about her daughter.  The woman's daughter recently broke off a sexual relationship she was having with Jones.  

The woman's daughter was also called to the stand on Tuesday afternoon and said Jones clearly did not take their break-up well and was furious with him for what he had done to her mother.

Through the first two days of the trial, the prosecution called more than 15 witnesses and offered dozens of items into evidence.

When the defense had its chance to present its case, Jones took the stand in his own defense and told a very different story than that of the woman.  Jones said when he and the woman arrived back it his home, she began doing cocaine.  Jones also said the two of them played cards.  As the night went on, Jones testified the woman initiated the sexual contact between them and Jones said he told the woman he was uncomfortable with it.

Jones told the jury that the next morning he woke up with his legs tied together with rope and the woman was on top of him performing sexual acts.  Jones said on Sunday, June 14, he left his home with the woman and dropped her off at a friends house in Salisbury and she was not in his home on June 15 or June 16.

The judge sent everyone home Tuesday night with the trial wrapping up Wednesday, ending in Jones' conviction. 

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices