Updated: Motor Burn Completed at NASA's Wallops Facility - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Updated: Motor Burn Completed at NASA's Wallops Facility

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

ATLANTIC, Va.- NASA says it has completed the static burn of a Peregrine solid rocket motor at its Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

Originally scheduled for March 19, the burn was rescheduled for Friday at 2 p.m. because of forecasted poor weather this weekend, according to Keith Koehler, a NASA spokesman.

Results and analyses of the burn will be applied to two other Peregrine motors at Wallops, Koehler said.

This burn did not include launching the motor, Koehler said. He said the procedure would include placing the Peregrine motor on a stand and static fired in a horizontal position. The motor is highly instrumented to give engineers data on its performance, according to Koehler. In addition, high speed cameras were in place to monitor the burn.

Koehler said the Peregrine sounding rocket motor development started as a NASA Engineering and Safety Center project and was designed in-house by NASA engineers, but was built in cooperation with commercial suppliers from across America. Peregrine may eventually be used as an alternative to current motors used by the NASA Sounding Rocket Program under the agency’s Science Mission Directorate, Koehler said. 

The Peregrine motor is 20-feet long and 20-inches in diameter. It provides 30,000 pounds of thrust. The thrust for the Peregrine is a little more than half that of the first stage Terrier motor used in suborbital rocket launches earlier this month from Wallops, Koehler said. 

Updates on the burn are available on the Wallops Facebook page.

Koehler said dates have not been determined for additional burns, or a possible launch of the final motor. 

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices