Dover Family Displaced After Trailer Fire - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Dover Family Displaced After Trailer Fire

Posted: Updated:
The side of a Dover trailer home that was engulfed in flames early Wednesday morning. (Photo: WBOC) The side of a Dover trailer home that was engulfed in flames early Wednesday morning. (Photo: WBOC)
What is left of a trailer home in Dover that saw a fire that displaced a family. (Photo: WBOC) What is left of a trailer home in Dover that saw a fire that displaced a family. (Photo: WBOC)
Belongings scattered across the front lawn of a trailer home burnt by flames Wednesday morning in Dover. (Photo: WBOC) Belongings scattered across the front lawn of a trailer home burnt by flames Wednesday morning in Dover. (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del.- An overnight fire in Dover has displaced a family and destroyed a home.

The Dover Fire Department says the call came in at 2:53 a.m. Wednesday about a fire in Dover East Mobile Home Park.

The fire department says it was a doublewide trailer and that the department was fully involved.

David Jones was living in the home with his mother at the time. He said they were both asleep when he was awakened by the sound of the smoke alarms. He ran outside and called 9-1-1.

"By the time they got here it just engulfed the whole kitchen side," he said. "So everything in the house is just demolished. I don't have nothing left pretty much."

Jones told WBOC Tuesday he lost all of his belongings.

"It sucks. All my artwork, my military ribbons, gone. Things that are very near and dear to me. They're gone," he said.

Jones was at the home with his family cleaning up the rubble Tuesday. There are melted and burned walls, ruined appliances and floors hardly safe to walk on because of the damage.

Some neighbors told WBOC they did not even know there was a fire in the neighborhood. Brice Hall lives a few houses down and said he heard screaming around 3 a.m.

"I thought he was locked out of his house," he said. "I didn't know it was a fire. Like you didn't smell anything. And the next thing I know, by the time he got the chance to call, it was up in smoke."

The Dover fire marshal has not said what the cause of the fire is. The family says they believe it was caused by an electrical problem.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices