Portable Space Heater Blamed for Fruitland Fire - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Portable Space Heater Blamed for Fruitland Fire

Posted: Updated:

FRUITLAND, Md.- Investigators say a portable space heater sparked a weekend house fire that displaced a Fruitland family.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said the fire broke out shortly before 2 p.m. Saturday at a one story home located at 207 Moonglow Road. 

It took 25 firefighters from the Fruitland Volunteer Fire Department approximately half an hour to get the fire under control. 

The fire caused an estimated $80,000 in damage to the structure and another $20,000 in damage to its contents. There were no reported injuries. 

State fire marshals investigators ruled the fire accidental and said it was sparked by a space heater in a bedroom.

Authorities said the home's owner and occupant, Alice Bivens, along with her family, are being assisted by the American Red Cross. 

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices