Sussex County to Purchase New Mobile Command Unit - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Sussex County to Purchase New Mobile Command Unit

Posted: Updated:

SUSSEX COUNTY, Del. - Sussex County's old mobile command unit is getting replaced.

The Sussex County Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to purchase a new one, which will cost the county $684,900 after state and federal grants totaling $935,500.

Those figures come from Joe Thomas, the director of Sussex County's Emergency Operations Center. He says the current Mobile Command Unit is 15 years old with outdated technology.

"We're going to have the latest in technology when it comes to phone systems, the radio systems, internet capabilities, satellite capabilities, and the new unit will actually have the ability to expand the inside spacing so that we can accommodate more people, and have a bigger operation," Thomas told WBOC on Tuesday.

The mobile command unit is used as a backup 911 service for people throughout the county, especially at large events such as Punkin Chunkin and the Apple Scrapple Festival.

Thomas told council members at last week's meeting that the county might be able to sell the old unit once the new one is purchased.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices