South Salisbury Neighborhood Evacuated Due to Flooding - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

South Salisbury Neighborhood Evacuated Due to Flooding

Posted: Updated:
Canal Woods was flooded Thursday morning (Photo:WBOC) Canal Woods was flooded Thursday morning (Photo:WBOC)

SALISBURY, Md.-  There's only one way in or out of the Canal Woods development on Canal Park in Salisbury.  Wicomico County officials were working Thursday morning to make sure people were only getting out. They are concerned not just about apartments flooding, but also that one road flooding out.

Marie Jones took WBOC into her first floor apartment.  She was woken up this morning by firefighters standing in her bedroom telling her to pack her things.

"When they came there was no water in here, but there was water outside and they said that there was flooding and I had to evacuate," said Jones.

She tried her best to put things on shelves and tables to protect them.  Walking on her waterlogged carpets with the power cut off, she never thought this was even a remote possibility.

"I mean I wish it had been a nightmare instead of waking up to see firemen standing in my bedroom," said Jones.

The development is surrounded on both sides by water, and it was rising quickly.

Charles Twilley was unfortunately celebrating his birthday by packing his car and leaving his home of ten years.

"I'm originally from Ocean City so I'm used to the floods, but not here.  I thought we were at a high spot here to be honest with you," said Twilley.

It's a sight he thought he'd never see.

"My neighbor downstairs, she's already underwater.  I understand over there where it's even lower, the refrigerator is flooding, so there's a lot of water in there," said Twilley.

Salisbury City Officials did a walk-thru evaluation of the development Thursday afternoon and deemed the front two buildings condemned due to severe flooding. 

According to the Mayor's Office a total of 53 units in the Canal Woods Development were affected by flood waters. Approximately 200 people have been displaced from their homes.

Salisbury Police Departments Chief of Police said police officers would be on scene overnight at the development to ensure no one entered the condemned buildings. 

Salisbury City Officials said they will continue the evacuation of the development until further safety evaluations can be done Friday morning. Officials said resident could be allowed to enter their homes on Friday after the evaluations are complete. 

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices