$2M Grant Awarded to Laurel, Wilmington Police Departments - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

$2M Grant Awarded to Laurel, Wilmington Police Departments

Posted: Updated:

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP)- The U.S. Department of Justice has awarded $2 million in funds to the Laurel Police Department and Wilmington Police Department to aid in community policing.
    
The police departments received the funds Monday.
    
Laurel's $125,000 will go toward the hiring of a new school resource officer while Wilmington's $1,875,000 in funding will support the hiring of 15 new officers to address city homicides. The grant funds 75 percent of the officers' salaries for the first three years, with the respective police department responsible for the remaining 25 percent.
    
Wilmington Police Sgt. Scott Reed says the new hires will be used to prevent homicides in the city.
    
Laurel Police Chief Dan Wright says the department previously hasn't had enough money to fund a full-time resource officer.
    

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Five Suspects Arrested with a Felton Meth Lab Operation

    Five Suspects Arrested with a Felton Meth Lab Operation

    Jan 23, 2018 11:51 AM2018-01-23 16:51:00 GMT
    Tuesday, January 23 2018 1:21 PM EST2018-01-23 18:21:38 GMT
    (Photo: MGN, DEA)(Photo: MGN, DEA)
    Five people have been arrested for manufacturing methamphetamine at an abandoned home in Felton, Delaware, according to police.More
    Five people have been arrested for manufacturing methamphetamine at an abandoned home in Felton, Delaware, according to police.More
  • Multiple People Arrested in Dover Drug Investigation

    Multiple People Arrested in Dover Drug Investigation

    Jan 22, 2018 5:15 PM2018-01-22 22:15:00 GMT
    Tuesday, January 23 2018 7:48 AM EST2018-01-23 12:48:09 GMT
    Jarad Wilson (left), Sean Caldwell and Holly McLaughlinJarad Wilson (left), Sean Caldwell and Holly McLaughlin
    Three people were arrested after a drug investigation, according to Delaware State Police.More
    Three people were arrested after a drug investigation in Dover, according to Delaware State Police.More
  • Updated: Police Seek 4 Who Robbed Armored Truck Driver in Salisbury

    4 Sought in Armored Truck Robbery in Salisbury

    Jan 22, 2018 8:19 AM2018-01-22 13:19:00 GMT
    Monday, January 22 2018 3:55 PM EST2018-01-22 20:55:57 GMT
    Video surveillance photo of one of the suspects wanted for holding up an armored truck driver filling up an ATM at the SECU on Mt. Hermon Road in Salisbury. (Photo credit: Salisbury Police Department)Video surveillance photo of one of the suspects wanted for holding up an armored truck driver filling up an ATM at the SECU on Mt. Hermon Road in Salisbury. (Photo credit: Salisbury Police Department)
    Salisbury police have released a video surveillance photo of one of the four suspects wanted in connection with the Monday morning armed robbery of an armored truck driver outside the State Employees Credit Union in Salisbury, Maryland.More
    Salisbury police have released a video surveillance photo of one of the four suspects wanted in connection with the Monday morning armed robbery of an armored truck driver outside the State Employees Credit Union in Salisbury, Maryland.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices