Roundabout Construction Underway In Georgetown - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Roundabout Construction Underway In Georgetown

Posted: Updated:

GEORGETOWN, Del. - DelDOT is building a new roundabout in the hopes of stopping crashes in Sussex County.

A roundabout is currently under construction at the intersection of Zoar Road, Bethesda Road and Speedway Road near the Georgetown Speedway. DelDOT engineer Sarah Powell says the project's goal is safety.

"There's been about 40 crashes here in the past ten years," she says. "The current intersection is very confusing for motorists."

According to DelDOT, a roundabout reduces the likelihood of crashes due to its shape. They say a typical four-way intersection has 32 points of conflict at which two vehicles might collide, whereas a roundabout has only eight conflict areas. Powell says it makes people slow down too.

"With reduced speeds in roundabouts--as you enter a roundabout, you're going a lot slower--and the with less motorist conflict points, statistics have shown up to a 90 percent reduction in fatalities and up to a 75 percent reduction in injury crashes."

There are 13 roundabouts in Delaware. The existing two in Sussex County are the Georgetown Circle and the roundabout on Rehoboth Avenue.

The construction for the project has shut down those roads. Detours are as follows. 

North on Zoar Road, left onto Governor Stockley Road, right on US 113, right on Woodbranch Road and return to Zoar Road.

South on Zoar Road, right on Woodbranch Road, left on US 113, left onto Governor Stockley Road and back to Zoar Road.

DelDOT says the project will cost about $1.4 million, with the federal government paying for 80 percent, and the remaining 20 percent coming from state funds. All work should be complete in September. 

  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • Invasive Spotted Lanternfly Headed Toward Maryland

    Invasive Spotted Lanternfly Headed Toward Maryland

    Farmers like Jennie Schmidt of Queen Anne's County know all too well how hard it is to grow grapes. And now Mother Nature, in the shape of a quarter-sized, red and black polka-dotted bug, is about to make Schmidt's job even more challenging. The spotted lanternfly, already pestering nearby states like Pennsylvania and Virginia, is on its way to Maryland.

    More

    Farmers like Jennie Schmidt of Queen Anne's County know all too well how hard it is to grow grapes. And now Mother Nature, in the shape of a quarter-sized, red and black polka-dotted bug, is about to make Schmidt's job even more challenging. The spotted lanternfly, already pestering nearby states like Pennsylvania and Virginia, is on its way to Maryland.

    More
  • Cruisin OC Heads back to Ocean City

    Cruisin OC Heads back to Ocean City

    It's official, Cruisin OC will be rolling through Ocean City once again in the Spring. Earlier this week, the council approved dates for the car show.
    Some locals say they're dreading for when those dates arrive. George Balunis, an Ocean City resident, says when the car events come into town, he stays inside.
    More
    It's official, Cruisin OC will be rolling through Ocean City once again in the Spring. Earlier this week, the council approved dates for the car show.
    Some locals say they're dreading for when those dates arrive. George Balunis, an Ocean City resident, says when the car events come into town, he stays inside.
    More
  • Medicare Fraud Lawsuit Names Private Ambulance Company & PRMC

    Medicare Fraud Lawsuit Names Private Ambulance Company & PRMC

    Federal authorities are investigating claims a private ambulance company committed Medicare fraud with the participation of Peninsula Regional Medical Center.

    A lawsuit filed in federal court outlines an alleged scheme to rake in tens of millions of dollars by over-billing Medicare on tens of thousands of non-emergency trips.

    More

    Federal authorities are investigating claims a private ambulance company committed Medicare fraud with the participation of Peninsula Regional Medical Center.

    A lawsuit filed in federal court outlines an alleged scheme to rake in tens of millions of dollars by over-billing Medicare on tens of thousands of non-emergency trips.

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices