City of Lewes Suggests New Changes to Savannah Road - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

City of Lewes Suggests New Changes to Savannah Road

Posted: Updated:

LEWES, Del. - The city of Lewes is suggesting some new pedestrian improvements be made on Savannah Road. 

Last year, DelDOT proposed various changes for Savannah Road from the bridge to American Legion Road, including adding a bike lane, sidewalks and crosswalks. But now, the Lewes City Council has sent their own ideas to DelDOT.

"We decided to re-evaulate the program and look at other possible ways that we could address the need that is there," says Mayor Ted Becker. "Obviously their  engineers have to review it and determine if it is workable."

Becker says their ideas include adding bike lanes to both sides of the road--rather than just the marsh side, as DelDOT suggested--and shifting the road four to five feet to accommodate the extra lanes.

"It's consistent with what we normally see bikes doing: riding with traffic," Becker says. "So this is just another alternative to look at which we think would probably be better in terms of addressing the needs of everyone."

The project will be 80 percent covered by federal funds, with the city of Lewes covering the remaining 20 percent. Becker says the original proposal cost about $600,000, but shifting the road would most likely raise the cost. The city is currently waiting to hear back from DelDOT before any next steps are taken. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Delaware State Auditor Does Not Seek Re-election

    Delaware State Auditor Does Not Seek Re-election

    Feb 17, 2018 11:41 PM2018-02-18 04:41:00 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 11:41 PM EST2018-02-18 04:41:58 GMT
    DOVER, De.- Delaware state auditor, Tom Wagner, has announced he will not seek re-election this year. Wagner was appointed to the position in 1989 and was elected to his seventh term in 2014. He’s one of two Republicans elected to statewide office. More
    DOVER, De.- Delaware state auditor, Tom Wagner, has announced he will not seek re-election this year. Wagner was appointed to the position in 1989 and was elected to his seventh term in 2014. He’s one of two Republicans elected to statewide office. More
  • Traffic Stop Leads to Police Pursuit; Weapons and Drugs Seized

    Traffic Stop Leads to Police Pursuit; Weapons and Drugs Seized

    Feb 17, 2018 3:27 PM2018-02-17 20:27:00 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 3:32 PM EST2018-02-17 20:32:23 GMT
    Courtesy of the Georgetown Police Department Courtesy of the Georgetown Police Department
    The Georgetown Police Department said they arrested a Brooklyn, NY, man early Friday morning after he lead them on a pursuit and had various drugs and guns in his car.More
    The Georgetown Police Department said they arrested a Brooklyn, NY, man early Friday morning after he lead them on a pursuit and had various drugs and guns in his car. More
  • Police Investigating Pocomoke American Legion Shooting

    Police Investigating Pocomoke American Legion Shooting

    Feb 18, 2018 3:03 PM2018-02-18 20:03:00 GMT
    Sunday, February 18 2018 3:03 PM EST2018-02-18 20:03:08 GMT
    Pocomoke Police are investigating a shooting that happened at the American Legion early Sunday morning.More
    Pocomoke Police are investigating a shooting that happened at the American Legion early Sunday morning. More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices