Delaware Drops Rape Charges Against Man After Mistrial - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Delaware Drops Rape Charges Against Man After Mistrial

Posted: Mar 08, 2018 12:01 AM Updated:

REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. (AP) - Charges have been dismissed against a Delaware man accused of raping a former housemate and threatening her with a BB gun to dissuade her from going to police.

The News Journal reports the state dropped the charges against 21-year-old Joshua Abele on March 2, after a jury failed to reach a verdict last month.

Delaware Department of Justice spokesman Carl Kanefsky says the state opted not to retry the case after "reviewing all elements," but offered no further details.

Abele's attorney Edward Gill said he received an email from a juror - who also contacted the newspaper - criticizing the prosecution of Abele. Gill had argued the encounter was consensual.

Gill says they're working to expunge Abele's record, and it's unclear if Abele will press charges of his own.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices