Two Veterans Earn High School Diplomas As Senior Citizens - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Two Veterans Earn High School Diplomas As Senior Citizens

Posted: Jun 06, 2018 10:55 PM Updated:

GEORGETOWN, Del.- After years of regret and procrastination, two military veterans earned their high school diplomas on Wednesday night as senior citizens.

Seventy-four-year-old Steven Hudson and 88-year-old Donald Hirneisen walked across the stage to receive their James H. Groves Adult High School diplomas.  Both saying they're proud of themselves after years of saying they would complete their educations.

"My classmates that I was supposed to graduate with asked me to come to a class reunion and I did and I felt so out of place because I didn't graduate with them, they graduated in '62," Hudson, a Korean War veteran, said.

World War II veteran Hirneisen says he demanded all five of his children to finish high school because he never did.  But when visiting his son in Colorado eight years ago, he knew it was time that he finished an education he left in the seventh grade.

"I did a lot of preaching, I said, 'You know what?' I think I'm gonna practice what I preached," Hirneisen said.

Both Hudson and Hirneisen's families say they are not only proud, but inspired of their graduates.

"He always put us first, the kids were always first and family was always first and that was just the way it was. I'm glad he realized his dream also," Hirneisen's son, Ricky, said.

Both graduates say their most challenging subject going back to school was algebra.  The easiest? U.S. history.

Police Warn of Phone Scams Targeting Sex Offenders, Seniors

Jun 25, 2018 3:48 AM2018-06-25 07:48:00 GMT
    Monday, June 25 2018 3:48 AM EDT2018-06-25 07:48:26 GMT
    (Photo Credit: MGN Online)(Photo Credit: MGN Online)
    (Photo Credit: MGN Online)(Photo Credit: MGN Online)
    Virginia police say they've seen an alarming increase in phone scams targeting senior citizens and convicted sex offenders.More

Dorchester County Woman Still Missing

Jun 24, 2018 11:00 PM2018-06-25 03:00:00 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 11:15 PM EDT2018-06-25 03:15:03 GMT
    DORCHESTER COUNTY, Md.- The Dorchester County Sheriff's Office is looking for a 73-year-old woman who has been missing for days. According to the Dorchester County Sheriff's Office, Sharon Danner was last seen in the Vienna, Maryland area. Police say she More

People Angry Over Sanders Slam the Wrong Red Hen

Jun 24, 2018 10:33 PM2018-06-25 02:33:00 GMT
    Sunday, June 24 2018 10:33 PM EDT2018-06-25 02:33:52 GMT
    People have been flooding a Red Hen restaurant with angry calls and negative reviews since White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders was told to leave - but they've got the wrong Red Hen.More