Two Veterans Earn High School Diplomas As Senior Citizens - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Two Veterans Earn High School Diplomas As Senior Citizens

Posted: Jun 06, 2018 10:55 PM Updated:

GEORGETOWN, Del.- After years of regret and procrastination, two military veterans earned their high school diplomas on Wednesday night as senior citizens.

Seventy-four-year-old Steven Hudson and 88-year-old Donald Hirneisen walked across the stage to receive their James H. Groves Adult High School diplomas.  Both saying they're proud of themselves after years of saying they would complete their educations.

"My classmates that I was supposed to graduate with asked me to come to a class reunion and I did and I felt so out of place because I didn't graduate with them, they graduated in '62," Hudson, a Korean War veteran, said.

World War II veteran Hirneisen says he demanded all five of his children to finish high school because he never did.  But when visiting his son in Colorado eight years ago, he knew it was time that he finished an education he left in the seventh grade.

"I did a lot of preaching, I said, 'You know what?' I think I'm gonna practice what I preached," Hirneisen said.

Both Hudson and Hirneisen's families say they are not only proud, but inspired of their graduates.

"He always put us first, the kids were always first and family was always first and that was just the way it was. I'm glad he realized his dream also," Hirneisen's son, Ricky, said.

Both graduates say their most challenging subject going back to school was algebra.  The easiest? U.S. history.

Winter Weather Disrupts Air Travel in Mid-Atlantic

Wednesday, February 20 2019 10:42 AM EST2019-02-20 15:42:04 GMT
    Wednesday, February 20 2019 11:58 AM EST2019-02-20 16:58:20 GMT
    A winter storm is disrupting air travel in the mid-Atlantic region.More
    A winter storm is disrupting air travel in the mid-Atlantic region.           More

Dover Police Searching For Suspect In Convenience Store Robbery

Wednesday, February 20 2019 1:33 PM EST2019-02-20 18:33:32 GMT
    Wednesday, February 20 2019 1:33 PM EST2019-02-20 18:33:32 GMT
    (Photo: MGN Online)(Photo: MGN Online)
    (Photo: MGN Online)(Photo: MGN Online)
    DOVER, Del. - Police are searching for a robber who held up a 7-11 store on South New Street early Wednesday morning. Police say a male suspect entered the store shortly before 6 a.m., pulled out a firearm and demanded the clerk place money in a black booMore

Commission Approves Delaware Memorial Bridge Toll Increase

Wednesday, February 20 2019 11:41 AM EST2019-02-20 16:41:27 GMT
    Wednesday, February 20 2019 11:58 AM EST2019-02-20 16:58:05 GMT
    The Delaware River and Bay Authority Commission approved a revised version of the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll schedule at the bi-state agency’s monthly meeting held Wednesday.More

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices