Police Show Media Body Cam Footage of Greensboro Man Arrest, Dea - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Updated: Police Show Media Body Cam Footage of Greensboro Man's Death

Posted: Updated:

GREENSBORO, Del.- There are still a lot of questions surrounding the death of 19-year-old Anton Black of Greensboro, who died while under police custody in September 2018.

On Wednesday morning, WBOC was told by a Greensboro Police Department representative that body camera video and 911 audio of the incident would be released that day.

After news crews arrived at Greensboro Town Hall later Wednesday, WBOC was then told only reporters could watch the video and record it off of a monitor, but must agree not to show the video publicly.

The video shows Greensboro officer Thomas Webster, who is also a former Dover, Del. police officer, responding to a call of a man, later identified as Black, dragging a 12-year-old down a road. Police say when they caught up with Black, they ordered him to let go of the boy. Black did, but then took off running.

That's when police say they chased after Black to his house and attempted to stun him with a Taser inside a parked vehicle. Police confirm the Taser did not deploy properly, therefore failing to stop Black. Police say Black bolted out of the passenger side of the car when more police caught up and were able to arrest him.

Police say not long after, Black began showing signs of medical distress, at which point they then administered Narcan and CPR. At one point in the video, an unidentified voice says, "(Black) was not connected with reality" and that Black "had a mental health history and may have been smoking marijuana laced with something."

Black was later pronounced dead at a hospital.

Greensboro police consultant William Gleason says he is not a medical expert but does not believe excessive force or a Taser were reasons why Black died.

"I did not see anything excessive by any of the officers. No strikes. No chokeholds. No asphyxia on top of him up for an extended period of time," Gleason said. "They used a reasonable amount of force to get Mr. Black under control so then they could give him the medical attention he needed."

Caroline County State's Attorney Joe Riley agrees with Gleason, stating that, in his opinion, excessive force was not a factor in Black's death.

"We are hearing a narrative out there that we don't see in the video. We want to make sure that the public knows what's going on because if what they're saying is on the video, there should be a public outcry," Riley said.

Riley says he could not release the body cam footage until the medical examiner's report came out. WBOC then called the medical examiner who said they had just given the report to Riley after media looked at the video. WBOC then spoke with Riley over the phone right after who said he hadn't had a chance to see what the medical examiner ruled as Black's cause of death.

Riley added, out of respect for Black's family, he did not yet have a plan or timeline of when the autopsy report would be released.

But Black's family says that's not the entire story, and they question how Black died in police custody. They held a press conference Wednesday to set the record straight on who Black was. 

"He was such a beautiful person, so we just want justice. People like Webster, he's home, he has his feet up and he's with his kids. He can do whatever he wants. Anton is dead. We're grieving and we want justice," said Black's niece Nijah Black. 

The family says Black had a bubbly spirit, was in good health, and participated in various extracurricular activities. He was a former student-athlete at North Caroline High School where he ran track, and played football. 

He even began modeling, and booked gigs locally and internationally. But all that is no more, his family says--and they want answers from Greensboro police.

"He didn't have a gun, he didn't shoot anybody. He didn't have a knife, he didn't cut anybody. He didn't have a stick or a brick, why is he dead?" his father, Antone Black Sr., said at the conference. 

It's unclear if this is the only, and unadulterated copy of the footage. The investigation is still playing out. Police were also, at times, blocking the full view of the body camera.

Despite those unanswered questions, Black's family says he still should not be dead. 

"I don't care that he ran. If it was your son, or your brother, or your nephew, or your father, you wouldn't have cared if he ran either. Our brother should not be in the ground right now," his older sister LaToya Holley said. 

Additionally, the 12-year-old boy that police say was being kidnapped was a cousin of Black's, the family said, and they were horse playing when the incident happened. 

We were not able to confirm this with the police department, but were told this was the case from multiple sources in the neighborhood. 

For now, the family says they plan to seek justice through legal action and hope indictments are on the way. 

Commenting on the case, Richard Potter, with the local NAACP of Talbot County, said, "We need to talk to our state delegates and get word to them that we're wanting laws changed and we need to petition our federal Congress that they need to start looking at police reform.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan recently weighed in on the case, calling for answers in Black's death. On Wednesday, Hogan spokesperson Shareese Churchill said, "As the governor has said, he believes that the family, the community, and all citizens deserve the highest degree of transparency possible, and continues to call for all information to be released swiftly and responsibly."  

The family says the truth of this investigation will come out. For now, they're carrying on Black's legacy through great memories, and through his close family--especially his daughter, Winter Black, who will never know Anton. 



Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices