Police Investigating Possible Security Threat at Delaware State - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Updated: DSU Ends Lockdown Status; No Active Shooter

Posted: Updated:
Police stationed at one of Delaware State University's campus entrances on Tuesday morning, Sept. 17. (Photo: WBOC) Police stationed at one of Delaware State University's campus entrances on Tuesday morning, Sept. 17. (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del.- Delaware State University has ended its lockdown status after a police sweep Tuesday morning determined there was no active shooter on campus. 

According to DSU Executive Vice President Tony Allen, just after 10 a.m. Tuesday university police sent an emergency alert by text and email to the DSU community of a possible active shooter. This alert was based on anonymous texts received by students of a potential shooter on campus.

Allen said the university's “Active Shooter Protocol” was activated; all buildings were immediately locked down, with students, faculty and staff moved to safe areas.

Allen said that at 11:45 a.m., following a thorough sweep of all buildings by university police in cooperation with Delaware State Police, the Dover Police Department and Capitol Police, the University was reported clear, and all members of the community are safe.

Convocation was canceled, and all classes/events for the remainder of the day have been canceled as well, according to Allen.

"While this alert unquestionably led to significant anxiety and alarm among our students and employees, I am pleased to report that our protocols functioned well," Allen said in a statement. "Administrators, faculty, and staff moved quickly and professionally to locate students in safe areas of campus buildings and kept them there until released. Again, I want to emphasize that there was no active shooter on campus, our protocols functioned as intended, and police units responded immediately."

Prior to Allen's statement, Delaware State Police confirmed there was no active shooter on campus, and said no shots were fired. Police also said there were no injuries reported as a result of the incident. 

Police said they are continuing to investigate the incident. 


Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices