Bail Increased for DSU Campus Shooting Suspect After Victim Dies - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Bail Increased for DSU Campus Shooting Suspect After Victim Dies

Loyer D. Braden, above, is accused of shooting Shalita K. Middleton and one other student. Loyer D. Braden, above, is accused of shooting Shalita K. Middleton and one other student.
Shalita K. Middleton Shalita K. Middleton

10/24/2007 12:20 AM ET; Updated 2:12 PM ET

DOVER, Del.- (AP/WBOC)- Prosecutors requested an emergency bail hearing Wednesday for the suspect in the Delaware State University shooting after one of the two shooting victims died.

Superior Court Judge Robert Young agreed to increase the bail for Loyer D. Braden from $92,000 to $192,000, according to Jason Miller, a spokesman for the Department of Justice.

Defense attorney James Liguori said prosecutors had asked that bail be set at $500,000 cash, the same amount they requested at Braden's initial court appearance last month.

"They made the representation that the charges would change," Liguori said.

Braden, an 18-year-old freshman from East Orange, N.J., is being held on charges of attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

With the death on Tuesday of Shalita K. Middleton, 17, a cheerleader and freshman biology major from Washington, D.C., prosecutors are expected to seek a murder charge against Braden.

Miller said the $50,000 bail on the attempted murder charge was increased to $150,000.

Liguori said Braden, who is being held at Delaware Correctional Center, appeared by video at Wednesday's bail hearing.

"He seems the same, very sad," Liguori said.

Middleton, who was shot in the abdomen when gunfire broke out on campus Sept. 21, died about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday at Christiana Hospital in Newark. Nathaniel Pugh, another 17-year-old student from Washington, suffered an ankle wound.

Campus police had hoped to interview Middleton about what happened on the night of the shooting but never got the opportunity.

At a Sept. 28 court hearing for the accused gunman, Loyer D. Braden, university police Lt. Donald Baynard said Middleton had not regained consciousness and was breathing with the help of a tube.

Braden is accused of shooting Pugh and Middleton shortly before 1 a.m. on Sept. 21, after they left a campus cafe.

Baynard testified that Braden had been in a fight two days earlier with another freshman, James O. Richmond, who spit in Braden's face after his lip was bloodied. The two, accompanied by friends, saw each other again on the night of Sept. 20 at the cafe, where Richmond had gone with a group that included Pugh and Middleton. Middleton was among those who tried to defuse the altercation in the cafe.

Following Middleton's death, her family released a statement that read in part, "She struggled valiantly over the last several weeks and she was an inspiration. Ultimately, however, the internal injuries that she suffered were in the end too critical to overcome."

University President Allen Sessoms said the community was "grieving and deeply saddened" by Middleton's death.

"Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this most difficult time," Sessoms said in a statement.   "I know I speak for all our DSU family in offering our heartfelt condolences."

University spokesman Carlos Holmes said two administrators from the school were with Middleton's family when she died.

"We put anger aside because we're just grieving. It's sad.  We're very sad for the family," said Holmes.

Middleton's close friends put up a memorial Tuesday night on the Delaware State Univerisity campus.

"I'm sorry, I guess everything happens for a reason and she's better off where she is than here on Earth," says Kiara Wicks, a DSU student.

Holmes said the school would likely hold a memorial service for Middleton.







Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices