The Schwartz Center for the Arts is located on State Street in downtown Dover, Del. The Center was established in 1904 as an opera house. In 1923, the owner expanded it into a movie theater, calling it the Capitol Theater.
Meeting controversy and disrepair, the theater closed in 1982. After nearly 20 years of abandonment and eventually an influx of more than $8 million in restoration, the building reopened as the Schwartz Center for the Arts in October 2001.
In January 2007, when a strategic alliance that took three years finally formalized, Wesley College and Delaware State University partnered to operate, manage and maintain the center.Along with films, the center also programs musical dance shows, stand-up comedy, concerts, dramatic plays and various other stage acts.