Troopers Cleared in Fatal Salisbury Shooting - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Troopers Cleared in Fatal Salisbury Shooting

The scene from the March 18, 2014, shooting that occurred outside Maryland State Police Barrack "E" in Salisbury. (Photo: WBOC) The scene from the March 18, 2014, shooting that occurred outside Maryland State Police Barrack "E" in Salisbury. (Photo: WBOC)
Winfield Fisher III Winfield Fisher III
SALISBURY, Md.- Two Maryland State Police troopers have been cleared in connection with a deadly shooting that occurred at the Salisbury barrack in March, according to a report released Wednesday by the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.

Officials said no charges will be filed against Cpl. Anthony Myers, or Tfc. Jeffrey Wilkins following an investigation into the death of 32-year-old Winfield Fisher III, of Salisbury, who was shot and killed March 18 during an altercation that happened outside Barrack "E" at the corner of U.S. Route 13 and Dagsboro Road. The report found that "the use of force in this case appears to be justified under the totality of the circumstances."

"This office has determined that probable cause of course does not exist to charge either Cpl. Myers or Trooper Wilkins.  They have committed no wrong doing or crime as a result of the actions that they took," said Wicomico County State's Attorney, Matt Maciarello.

The report stated that at around 8:15 p.m. Fisher - with a repair order in his hand - entered the barrack, where Myers was working as the "acting sergeant." Myers told investigators that he could smell a strong odor of marijuana coming from Fisher, even though he was standing behind thick glass.

According to the report, Myers then entered the lobby, and asked Fisher, "Why would you come to the barrack smelling like marijuana?" and "When was the last time you smoked marijuana?" Myers replied he had smoked it in the morning because it helped him relax.

At this point Myers asked another trooper to come to the lobby to help him investigate.

According to the report, upon noticing the other trooper outside the lobby, Fisher began walking quickly out the doors and headed toward his vehicle, which was backed into a handicap spot. After instructing him to stop multiple times, Myers grabbed Fisher, who shrugged him off and began to enter his car, the report stated. The report added that Myers then shoved himself into the corner of the open car door and attempted to grab hold of Fisher.

Fisher began to pull out, with Myers pinned to the corner of the still open door, according to the report. The report said Myers, who began to backpedal and lose his balance, again instructed Fisher to stop, which he did not. At this point, investigators said Myers drew his weapon, and still attempted to escape, but found himself stuck to the vehicle.

The report stated that while being dragged by the vehicle, and fearing his own death, Myers then fired once into the abdomen of Fisher, before he fell and was sucked under the car, sustaining injuries.

The investigation revealed that at the same time, Tfc. Wilkins, who had followed Myers and Fisher outside and witnessed the brief struggle, fired twice at Fisher as he drove off.

According to the report, Fisher crashed nearby into a center median north of Dagsboro Road. Responding troopers removed Fisher from the vehicle, noting that he did not have a pulse. A state medical examiner's report would later state "to a degree of reasonable medical certainty," that Fisher died as a result of a gunshot wound to the torso.

Troopers also discovered 59.5 grams of marijuana within Fisher's car, according to the report.

Myers was transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries. He is still on medical leave, and has not fully recovered, according to the report.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices