Second Wave of Debris, Pollution Enter Bay After Conowingo Dam O - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Second Wave of Debris, Pollution Enter Bay After Conowingo Dam Opens Gates

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 7:18 PM -04:00 Updated:

DARLINGTON, Md. - Rain and flooding decimated neighborhoods and towns in Northern Pennsylvania earlier this week. Now, all that water flowing down the Susquehanna River has reached the Conowingo Dam, rising fast and forcing engineers to open up six dam gates on Wednesday. Exelon, the dam's owner, expects to open more gates as water levels peak on Thursday.

Dirty water, tainted the color of chocolate milk, blasted through the gates of the Conowingo Dam, sending 207,000 cubic feet of water per second by the evening along with debris and pollution into the Chesapeake Bay, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

It worries people like Clean Chesapeake Coalition member Tom Bradshaw, who says progress in the Bay's health could go back as much as five years. Bradshaw adds there's not much he can do but wait with little hope the water will stay clear and blue.

"Water quality is going to be impacted significantly with the nitrogen and phosphorous that's coming over," Bradshaw said. "We're going to see sediment coming across here and yes, you're going to see chocolate-milk looking water."

According to Governor Larry Hogan's Office, several state agencies are in contact with Pennsylvania, pushing the state to cleanup any debris before reaching the dam.

Hogan also says they're watching closely and waiting for Exelon to open up to nine gates by Thursday.

Bradshaw says he'll be eyeing what comes from the dam closely - unsure of what muddy waters will bring to the Chesapeake Bay next.

Just two weeks ago, up to 22 gates were opened at the Conowingo Dam to relieve itself of water and debris.

According to Maryland's Department of Natural Resources, they're still working to remove that debris in the upper Bay.

  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • Only 3 Players on Court at Buzzer After Cape Henlopen-Sussex Tech Basketball Brawl

    Only 3 Players on Court at Buzzer After Cape Henlopen-Sussex Tech Basketball Brawl

    Thursday night's fight broke out in the game's third period. (Photo courtesy: Cape Gazette/Dave FredThursday night's fight broke out in the game's third period. (Photo courtesy: Cape Gazette/Dave Fred
    Thursday night's fight broke out in the game's third period. (Photo courtesy: Cape Gazette/Dave Frederick)Thursday night's fight broke out in the game's third period. (Photo courtesy: Cape Gazette/Dave Frederick)

    A boys basketball game between Cape Henlopen and Sussex Tech high schools devolved into a three-on-three contest after a bench-clearing brawl, and only three of those players were left on the court at the buzzer.

    Thursday night's game ended with only one player on the court for Cape Henlopen and two for Sussex Tech. Sussex Tech won the game 63-62.

    More

    A boys basketball game between Cape Henlopen and Sussex Tech high schools devolved into a three-on-three contest after a bench-clearing brawl, and only three of those players were left on the court at the buzzer.

    Thursday night's game ended with only one player on the court for Cape Henlopen and two for Sussex Tech. Sussex Tech won the game 63-62.

    More
  • Delaware School Removes Door to Enter Bathroom

    Delaware School Removes Door to Enter Bathroom

    Students at Lake Forest High School in Felton, Delaware, found doors to enter the bathroom had been removed. The school district says it was for safety reasons, based on a security analysis by Delaware State Police.

    More

    Students at Lake Forest High School in Felton, Delaware, found doors to enter the bathroom had been removed. The school district says it was for safety reasons, based on a security analysis by Delaware State Police.

    More
  • Man Killed in Early Friday Shooting in Dover

    Man Killed in Early Friday Shooting in Dover

    Dover police are investigating an early Friday morning shooting that left a 19-year-old man dead.

    Police said that just before 3 a.m., officers responded to a report of shots fired at Country Club Apartments off of Forrest Avenue.

    More

    Dover police are investigating an early Friday morning shooting that left a 19-year-old man dead.

    Police said that just before 3 a.m., officers responded to a report of shots fired at Country Club Apartments off of Forrest Avenue.

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2020 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices