REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - Outdoor dining was a huge success in Rehoboth Beach last year, and much of that was due to pedestrian barriers. The barriers block off parking spaces, allowing people to walk around outdoor diners.
Now, those barriers are back for the 2021 season. Workers were out before sunrise Wednesday morning, rolling the red barriers out onto the Rehoboth streets.
For restaurants like Mariachi, the dividers bring more than just extra customers.
"It just made it look a little more lively on this street, rather than people walking through Penny Lane and turning right back and going to Rehoboth Avenue. So it brings more people, it will just bring a crowd," said Patrick Ramos of Mariachi.
Ramos says more outdoor dining space also means more employees.
He said, "We were able to take two more employees because of these seats. Otherwise they would have no job."
The city installed accessibility ramps behind the barriers as well, so everyone can get around outside diners, no matter their ability. But the barriers don't come cheaply, and this year, restaurants have to pay for them themselves. That is where Rehoboth Beach Main Street came in.
Board Secretary Jerry Filbin said, "The merchants said 'well we're just as financially challenged as the city is,' and so the Board of Directors at Main Street got together and said maybe there's something we can do about it."
The nonprofit received state grants and donations to cover the barrier costs for struggling businesses.
"This pretty near brought us to where we need to be. We still need to scratch the dirt for a little more, but as you see, the barriers were going down [Wednesday] morning," Filbin said.
But restaurants aren't the only businesses in need of a boost. Rehoboth Toy and Kite Company says keeping merchandise outside is essential for the local shops.
President and Owner Rachel Webster said, "The retail stores are allowed to put some of their stuff outside, so it makes it a little bit easier for people to see our stuff and to really know that we're open. Because, especially in this last season, people didn't know if we were open or not open."
The City of Rehoboth says the barriers will be up until November 1st this year, so dining alfresco is here to stay for a little while, just in time for the warm weather.

