Five Injured, Two Critically in Rt. 113 Crash

MILLSBORO, Del. -- Five people were injured, two critically, Wednesday afternoon after a serious crash in Millsboro that snarled traffic for hours on Route 113.

Delaware State Police say it happened around 3 p.m. Wednesday on US 113 and Avenue of Honor.

Police say Theresa L. Tingen, 17, of Millsboro, driving a 2001 Dodge Stratus westbound on Avenue of Honor, was stopped for the stop sign at the intersection of DuPont Boulevard (US113), while John W. Brown, 80 of Lewes, was driving a 2016 Subaru Outback northbound on US113. Police say Tingen then drove into the northbound lanes of US 113, causing the Outback to hit the Stratus on the driver's side. According to police, this caused both vehicles to continue down the road. Troopers said the Stratus came to a stop in the middle of the southbound lanes, while the Outback stopped in the grass median.


Theresa Tingen, who was properly restrained, was extricated from the vehicle and then transported by EMS to Beebe Healthcare, according to police.  She was later airlifted by LifeNet to Christiana Medical Center where she, as of Wednesday night, was listed in critical condition, police say.


Joshua C. Reynolds, 15, of Millsboro, was a front seat passenger in the Stratus.  Police say he was not properly restrained and was initially transported by Delaware State Police Aviation (Trooper 2) to Christiana Medical Center before being diverted to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital due to the seriousness of his medical condition.  Police say, as of Wednesday night, he was also listed in critical condition.


Police said a 15-year-old girl from Millsboro, was a backseat passenger in the Stratus and was not properly restrained.  She was transported by EMS to Beebe Healthcare where she was treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.


Police said John Brown and his 75-year-old wife were properly restrained and were transported by EMS to Beebe Healthcare where he was admitted with undetermined injuries and she was treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries.


The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing its investigation into this incident. Police said no charges have been filed at this time.  US113 southbound lanes were closed for approximately three hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.


Recommended for you